[Alberg30] Atomic Four

Capnreitz at aol.com Capnreitz at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 13:42:43 PDT 2001

I had, still have, a small problem with my engine. For the past few years I
had intermittent difficulty starting. Purchased new batteries and thought I
had solved the problem. Sorry. Did trace it down to a faulty starter the
motor had a bad spot and the solenoid was sticking. It would release when it
wanted to. Having both items rebuilt it now seems there is no longer a
starting problem.
When the engine finally did start I found a fuel leak ffrom the filter, The
owner I purchased the boat from had informed me that it would not be
necessary to change the filter on the pump as he had installed a more readily
accessible one on the right side wall. I removed the pump and found that
corrosion had eaten a 3/16" diameter hole through the casting. necessitating
a new fuel pump which is unavailable, it has been replaced by an electric
model.
In the process of making the exchange I noticed a small, aprox 3/32" dia.
tubing running from the manifold to the base of the carburetor. This is not
shown in the Universal Manual. Questioning the yard mechanics the theorys' as
to its purpose include 1. a vacuum line, 2. a excess fuel return line, 3 etc.
The engine starts and runs well but I cannot get it to idle. I believe I
still have to readjust the carburetor. My fear is that I do not know what
that little line was for and that by replacing it with a 1/4" dia hose I may
be upsetting some sort of balance between the fuel pump, the carb, and the
engine fuel requirements.
My questions include: 1. Has anyone had any experience with the electric fuel
pump, specifically with its' reliability. 2. Has anyone run into the small
tube I described and determined its' purpose? Also do I have to replace it in
kind or will a larger hose, as I installed, be acceptable?
On another note. I have read of many types of refrigerating units, and was
again reminde of this fact when reading the latest mail about an Alberg for
sale. What units have my associates had the most, and best experience with?
Dragging a three day supply of ice around is becoming a drag in view of
anticipated longer trips.
I appreciate all information no matter how small and what you may consider
insignificant. To me it is lifes blood.
Ralph Reitz
Dances With Waves # 457