[Alberg30] Hatch

FINKENBERG, Lincoln LFINKENBERG at EMMETMARVIN.COM
Mon Jun 4 13:11:11 PDT 2001

	The laz hatch was redid with a thin peace of luan (stained),
underside was reinforced with a cross peace -- its solid enough to step on,
not jump on.

	The seating was done with solid teak trim and teak veneer on marine
plywood -- one of the seat's veneer warped, but is fixable -- got to seal
the underside.  It is a good idea to put weather stripping underneath the
long edge of the seat opposite the piano hinge to absorb shock when the seat
slams shut. The prior seats screws ripped right out of the marine plywood --
that's in part why I used solid teak trim in hopes it would help hold.

	In hindsight I'd go with solid teak -- its $14 a bd/ft near here and
no worries when it is stomped, slammed or kicked.

	Linc, Gypsy 138, Oyster Bay

Greetings--
    It's time to rebuild the lazarette seat/hatch covers in the cockpit.
The originals are pegged together boards which by now leak like crazy.  What
have people done to improve them?  Can it be as simple as 1/2 inch exterior
plywood epoxied/painted?  It would be nice to be able to step on them
without worrying about going through, too.  I always like that in a boat.

    Many thanks for  any suggestions re: this critical matter.