[Alberg30] Caulking Teak Hatch Covers

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:39:16 PDT 2001

The hatches on the newer (after hull #400 or so) have fiberglass hatches
with plywood/teal veneer inlay. Jim Mennucci and I replaced the inlay about
10 years ago in a joint project that has held up great. The problem is that
the teak veneer wears off over time, even if they are sealed. We took a
router and set the depth to 1/4" and cut-out all of the plywood to that
depth. Then we used 3/8" tongue-and-groove solid 2-1/2" wide teak planks and
cut them to fit precisely in the seat where the plywood hav been removed.
Once final dry-fit was to our satisfaction we epoxied the solid teak planks
in place and weighted them overnight to maintain a good bond. This left the
teak about 1/8" proud and with some final sanding, a little less than that.
The seams between the planks can be left unfilled or filled with deck seam
filler in black or white (personal preference)or filled with white epoxy, as
I did. I knew that I was going to put a finish on the wood and the finish
would yellow the white epoxy giving it the appearance of teak/holly inlay. I
started using varnish as the finish of choice (all of the exterior and
interior wood was varnished on the whole boat), I have since changed to
Armada for exterior finish and still use an interior (Minwax) varnish for
the inside of the boat, excepting the floor boards which are treated with
polyurethane. I've been happy with the way the seats, lazarette and main
hatch have held up, and that they don't require much maintenance.