[Alberg30] Fw: Cooling System

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jun 13 14:29:14 PDT 2001

Hi all,
I have recently had some over normal operating temperature problems (not
quite overheating) with my A4 and turned to the group for advice. I believe
my problem is over.
  I knew from spring start up that my thermostat housing bypass boss which
was rebuilt once already was getting very thin. Upon running my engine under
load @1500RPM the temp. went up to about 180` which is too hot for a raw
water cooled engine. I reviewed my previous maintenance and considered
several bits of advice from the group and decided to spring for a new
thermostat housing from Moyer/Featherman.
  I installed the new housing this past Sunday and motored around a while. I
also got out on Monday afternoon and motored and sailed for a while. Under
load, my temp. topped out at 160` and at idle and easy run it ran about
150`. Since I'm not quite sure at what temp. precipitation becomes a
problem, I went to Moyer's site and asked him about my current operating
temps. His reply follows:

Dear Brian Timmins,

Thank you for submitting the following question via our web site:

YOUR QUESTION:
My saltwater cooled A4 is running at about 160`. Two- three years ago I did
a strip down and clean out of the entire cooling system and I routinely
flush out with fresh water (2x/year) and use radiator cleaner (1x/year). My
first run this year the temp got up to ~180`. Knowing that my thermostat
housing was worn, I replaced it with a new one from Featherman.(nice
product. congrats on cost control) Now I'm running steady at 160`. Is this
OK or still too hot.

OUR RESPONSE:
Brian,

Yes, 160 degrees is fine.

By the way, is sounds as though you've done a great job in maintaining your
cooling system.

Don

We hope this helps! If you have any additional questions,
please visit our FAQ database again at http://www.moyermarine.com/faq

I guess if Don says it's OK, it must be OK.
Thanks to all who gave some input,
Brian    "Free Spirit"    A30    #497