[Alberg30] Keels-Ans to John

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sat Jun 23 21:30:48 PDT 2001

Dear John
    Mine is definitely iron.
    As for sealing up, I plan to, but the cement bedding (which I presume
runs up the full legnth of the ballast) concerns me in that it is porous and
no doubt has absorbed water. My plan is to pour a gallon of alchohol in the
bilge where it will be in contact with the small cross section of the cement
liner. Since alchohol is hydroscopic (attracts and holds water, which then
evaporaes with  the alchohol-that's why you have a dry mouth with a hangover,
the alchohol is 'holding' the water in your body), if left for a while to
evaporate and the treatment repeated a few times, it should dry out the
cement liner without having to core holes all over the boat. Then I will seal
it off, with perhaps a threaded bronze casting or large nuts to hold the
rudder piece embedded in the fiberglass. I also want to leave a drain hole
with a plug in this lowest portion of the boat, to drain off water when she's
on the hard.
Regards,
Paul
#23 Ashwagh

In a message dated 6/21/01 10:09:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sunstone at idirect.com writes:

> With a hull number of 23 are you sure you are not dealing with a lead
>  ballast?
>
>  The first few A-30's were lead then they went to iron. Regardless iron or
>  lead, all are cast and not shot.
>
>  Is there any more water in the keel than before you started pulling it
>  apart?
>
>  If the answer is no, I would suggest for your consideration, leaving well
>  enough alone and seal it up with glass. Do you think using cedar or redwood
>  well glassed might be a thought if the original wood served a structural
>  purpose for the rudder shoe?
>
>  John
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |