[Alberg30] Bilge Blower - Don't take chances

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Mar 27 13:30:35 PST 2001

Mike Lehman wrote:

> If you suspect a fuel or exhaust leak you should run your blower and get the
> leak repaired asap....

If you suspect a leak, I'd repair it where it is -without- running it! A
friend of mine in Rochester, NY got blown clear off of a boat and into
the water, miraculously w/o serious injury, when a gas engine was
started and there had been a leak!

> In hot summer months, you may want to run the blower to
> clear heat from the engine room. If you are confident that everything is in
> good working order, you only need to run the blower 5 minutes prior to start
> a gasoline engine. I always performed a "sniff" test before starting the
> engine to be safe...

I agree that it should not be necessary to run the blower after the
engine has been started. However, I -always- open the hatch in the
cockpit where the gas tank is and sniff before I start the engine. There
is always a -very- faint gas smell, but if I smell much at all I check.
As a BATF licensed explosives operator (display fireworks is a hobby of
mine), I can attest that -one cup- of vaporized gasoline is about equal
to one stick of dynamite!

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |