[Alberg30] Notes on installing A-30 mast brace

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue May 1 05:52:55 PDT 2001

dickdurk wrote:

> I'm in the process now of fitting the plates to the mainbeam...

One important detail about fitting is to make sure that there is about
1/8" clearance between the top of the brace and the roof, so thatthe
deck will not get cracks in it when the beam is under maximum
compression. I have heard of people who put the braces too close to the
"ceiling" and ended up with small cracks inthe deck over time. We
installed ours with the mast off (no load), so the gap is allthe more
important under that condition.

Also, if you are jacking up the support, be sure to open up the cabin
sole floor hatches and use a 4 x4 or other wood so you jack against the
structual top of the keel. Do -not- jack against the floor, you risk
damaging it.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |