[Alberg30] Portable VHF power

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at zeuter.com
Thu May 17 20:53:24 PDT 2001

This talk of power levels reminded me of an experience I had with batteries.
Forgive me if this is old hat to you!

I purchased a handheld VHF to use for monitoring sailing races.  We have fixed
VHF radios in our boats, but as regatta chair, I never know where I'll be, so
it's with me all the time.
The dealer loaded me up with house-brand batteries, and the VHF died on about
the third word of the first transmission, after I'd been listening for a few
hours.
After it died, it made an infuriating hum when I pressed the transmit button.
No mistaking that it was not functioning.
The dealer couldn't explain it.  Took it into the shop, shipped it to their
repair depot for a couple of weeks, could not figure it out.  He didn't have a
full appreciation that a VHF could save a life one day--as long as it was
working.  And he told me rather unnecessarily, I thought, that he wasn't
responsible for my life.
They offered me a house brand model as a replacement, which lacked the 3-channel
monitoring and other features I wanted, and which was worth only $200 vs the
$300 I had paid for the unit.  So I declined.
I called the manufacturer direct, on their 800-line in Texas.  Their service was
fantastic.  I talked to an electrical engineer, who told me that if I were to
use a name brand battery, which generated significantly more power, (almost 50%
more sticks in my mind)  I probably would not have that experience.

It's true!  I load up the 9 Duracells, and I have never had a moment of trouble
with it since.  Apparently the manufacturer had actually tested all the brands
of batteries, and they knew exactly which ones really had the power it took to
run this 5-watt VHF.  Recommending any one over another could put them into a
delicate position, I suppose.
When I told the dealer, he said they were all the same as his house brand, and
he didn't think that was anything to do with it.
But it still works well, and I don't go to that dealer any more.

Have you had this experience with batteries and safety equipment?

Marianne King-Wilson
Windward 369
Parry Sound

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |