[Alberg30] Re: Public-list digest, Vol 1 #402 - 3 msgs

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Nov 15 13:45:38 PST 2001

   As was said, a diesel like the Yanmar is a tight fit. I have a
Westerbeke 21 and the air cleaner is not removable without taking the
engine out or cutting structure. Everything else is possible, but just
barely, to get to. The installation required cutting some access holes
in the area under the sink. Also installing an 18 x 18" Bomar hatch in
the cockpit sole. NO WAY you can get to important parts of the engine
through the stock Alberg cockpit access panel. (You can crawl over the
A-4 I think, but certainly not my Westerbeke, nor, I think, the Yanmar.)

    That said, I would much rather have the diesel than the A-4 for
reasons of safety and fuel mileage. Also, it does not have spark
ignition to give trouble. If you keep your fuel clean a fresh water
cooled diesel will run forever, or at least as long as any of us will
need it.

    Do install good fuel filters, like RACORs. In fact, install parallel
filters with valves to select one or the other and a second fuel tank.
again with appropriate valving. Do NOT install a fuel pickup with a
screen at the bottom end. It will pack up at the worst possible moment.
Filter in the fuel line, not in the tanks where they are inaccessible.

Gordon White, A-275

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |