[Alberg30] Lazy Jacks

win alled wallred at olg.com
Fri Oct 26 18:50:20 PDT 2001

Dave, I too, have joined the list as a future owner of an Alberg 30.  I
installed lazy jacks on my Cal 25 based on an article and instructions I
saved from Cruising World magazine, January 1987.  I am very happy with
them and I retract them frequently.  The negative part of lazy jacks, as
far as I'm concerned, is when you are raising the sail.  It can be
difficult to keep from hanging up a batten as the wind tosses the leech
around as you haul the halyard.  That is the advantage of the retractable
aspect.

Here is is my attempt to describe a DIY set of lazy jacks:

1) Run a line (I used 5/16 three strand dacron) from a fixed fair lead
point about 2/3 to 3/4 of the mainsail luff length up the port side of the
mast(you can change this to the starboard side if you wish)down the side of
your mainsail a point about 1/3 of the distance from the gooseneck
fitting.  This line should end in a bullseye fitting large enough to freely
pass the size line you are using for your lazy jacks.  2) On the opposite
side of the mast at the same height as the fixed line, mount a cheek block
and run a line  with a matching bullseye up through the block and down to
the base of the mast to a turning block running to the cockpit.  You now
have the upper lazy jack lines.  For your 22 ft boat and, most likely for a
30, you will only need two lower jacks to catch the lowered sail, so you
are ready for step 3)  Run a continuous loop of line through the bullseyes
on each upper leg passing under the boom and through fairleads on the under
side of the boom.  This line will form  an inverted "V" on each side of the
sail.  You may need to play with the positioning of the under boom fair
leads but start by positioning the forward lead about 20% of the boom
length aft of the gooseneck and the after lead about 75% of the boom length
aft of the gooseneck.

I hope this description is adequate.  If I had a working scanner, I could
send you the complete article.  I retract my "jacks" by hooking them behind
the mast after slacking off the adjustable line and retrieve them by
reversing the process.  These DIYs will save you a bundle and will work as
well as the "boughten" variety.

Win
"Windrose" berthed Rockhold Creek, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland

Dave Rutherford wrote:

> Greetings, I have joined the list as a potential owner in the future.  I
> currently own an Alberg22 in Belleville, Ontario.  I noticed some
> discussions on LazyJacks and since I would like to install a set
> wondered what the group has found with respect to their mainsail
> handling capabilities.
> I do not race and cruise only.  The local rigging shop produces them but
> they remain up all the time and do not retract to the mast.  Can members
> tell me if this is ok and if there is much variation in the different
> units available.  I understand Practical Sailor did a comparison a few
> years ago as well. Thanks very much. I appreciate any advice.
>
> --
> Dave Rutherford
> Superintendent of Finance
> Hastings and Prince Edward DSB
> 156 Ann St.
> Belleville, Ontario
> K8N 1N9
> 613-966-1170

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |