[Alberg30] Forward Chainplates

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Apr 8 10:48:41 PDT 2002

It's been a couple years since I recaulked the chainplates with
Rule Elastomeric, and so far it still seems to be holding.  I did
remove the chainplates and burnish the surfaces with those little
round 3M scrubbers that fit in the drill.  This gave me a clean
surface for bonding.

As for the number of bolts, I know that Bruce Rankin preferred
using five 1/4" bolts rather than three 5/16" ones.  He said the
strength was the same, though.  I think he preferred to losing
20% of the strength rather than 33% if a bolt failed.

I went with the three 5/16" solution, though, as it was easier
for me to enlarge three holes than to drill two new ones.
Bruce was better equipped for drilling stainless than I am.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |