[Alberg30] Documentation Tales

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Wed Apr 17 16:12:14 PDT 2002

If I remember correctly, the Coast Guard's procedure was dictated by U.S.
Congress, who enacted legislation years ago to prevent foreign ship
manufacturers from getting into the U.S. market.  They also wanted to keep used
foreign ships out too, so owners had to provide proof of U.S. owned ships since
the ship was new.  There was some way you could get a new vessel made out of
the U.S. documented when it was new but it was a real pain.  It revolved around
protecting U.S. commerce and shipping.

Captain Tom Church of schooner Nor'Wester, formerly out of Miwaukee, Wisc., had
to actually have Wisconsin Congressional people pass an act of Congress to
grant documentation to him for his 1926 Alden designed, Marinette, Wisconsin
made wooden 38' LOD schooner for carrying paid passengers.  Since he couldn't
find all of the past owners as well as prove them to be American born, he had
to actually have a U.S. Congressional Act passed.

Incidently, Tom and his lovely wife, Clara, now sail Nor'Wester out of Padre
Island, Texas, on the Gulf of Mexico and live aboard...ah it must be nice to be
retired!

So hang in there, Albergers!

Scott Wallace, Bluenose 24 and dreamer of Alberg 30's

Mike Lehman wrote:

> They must have change this process since I did it in 1977. I needed copies
> of birth certificates from everyone that ever owned the boat, a US coast
> Guard official had to visit and make and official measurement of the vessel,
>   copies of duty paid receipts, the original builder certificates and had to
> complete and have notarized these poster-sized forms in quadruplicate and
> sign such things as granting permission to the US governemnt the right to
> seize my vessel during wartime in needed. IF NEEDED....if we get to the
> level where we need Alberg 30s to fight a war, I'm moving! The process I
> went through was essentially the same process as if I would have purchased a
> 1000' freighter. I am glad to see thing have changed.

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |