[Alberg30] Jib sheet tracks

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Mon Apr 22 10:00:23 PDT 2002

for what it's worth - here is what I did this weekend. The port side sheet track leaked. not like a sive, but "modestly" and for some time as best I can guess. We removed the bolts back a little beyond the place where the leaking stopped. The spacer was loose and had falled apart at the bow end of the track. We let the toe rail dry out a bit. It stayed in place just fine because it is screwed in. What we found was that whatever cauking there was had disappeared or become ineffective. After a little drying we put caulking under the spacer and on top of the spacer and then put some more caulking down in the screw holes and then inserted the screws and tightened them up. In one place someone had tried to solve the probelm by glassing over the area from below. What this did was make it impossible to get a nut on the screw in that place. I chipped some of the fiberglass repair away and was able to get a nut on and tightened and it drew up reasonably well. In the places where the !
spacer had decayed completely at the bow, we filled the area with caulk to prevent water getting in. I think that now I do have a better seal than I had before. We had a couple inches of inches of snow last night so I may have a good test situation now. I consider this repair a temporary repair which will need real attention next winter. The starboard side is dry as a bone.I hope this is helpful. As I say - for what it is worth. Ideally, we should have let things dry out longer, but, snow or no snow, the boat goes in the water next Wednesday,May 1. The race is on and intend to have everything ready.

>>> squire51 at hotmail.com 04/18/02 04:04PM >>>
Hi Guys

    Thanks for the input....some interesting options to ponder.  I had wondered about doing this job without removing tracks. The reason is that I'm concerned about losing the seal between the toe rail and the deck by removing all of the bolts. My thought was to make shorter sections of spacer and insert by slightly loosening the bolts. If I take the track right off an awful long section of toe rail is going to be loose. Do you think the seal there would stay intact. If not and I have to remove the tracks,any suggestions for rebedding this area. Thanks all.

    John   #182

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |