[Alberg30] Live Aboard

alberg30 at mindspring.com alberg30 at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 1 16:08:49 PST 2002

Bob:
My wife and I lived aboard our A30 for 9 months. It is great for one person,
possible for two.

You will need to upgrade your AC electrical system, if it has not already been
done. You will need to add a battery charger, some type of refrig/cooler, and
pressure water is nice. We used the showers/bathrooms ashore. You will like a
custom matress for the forepeek. And you will need extensive canvas (bimini,
doger, awning) to keep the sun off the decks. We cooked on a bar-b-que grill
ashore alot.

In a warmer climate, you can put a small standard window air conditioner unit
in the companionway. You will have to climb over it, but it is well worth the
effort. 4,000-5,000 BTU's will cool the boat to a meat locker.

In the winter, an small electric heater will warm you nicely.Be sure to use
large gauge extention cords.

Pack clothes in sealable plastic bags. The large ones with zippers work well
for the closet. I would put some insulation or ceiling in the main cabin and
forepeek. You can also use marine carpet glued to the bulkheads. It keeps the
clothes lockers dry and quiet.

Best of luck

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 06:41:41 -0800 (PST) Bob Morsut <rkmorsut at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm a sailor of modest means now living in
> Illinois, but originally from the Long Island
> Sound area of New York and Connecticut. There I
> owned a '78 Pearson 28 for many years and
> admired her for her staunch speed and
> stability in all kinds of weather,
> including nasty line squalls and nor'easters.
> Now as an early retiree I am thinking about
> living aboard a sailboat, on the East Coast of
> the US. Perhaps from Maryland south to the Keys
> and am considering the Alberg 30 for this
> purpose. My question is: in addition to racing
> and cruising, has or is the Alberg 30 serving
> as a liveaboard home to anyone on this list? If
> so, I'd like to know more about your experience
> and based upon it whether you recommend this
> revered sloop as a home, alone.
> Bob Morsut, Lindenhurst, Illinois.Do you
> Yahoo!?
> <a
> href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com">Yahoo!
> Mail Plus</a> - Powerful. Affordable. <a
> href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com">Sign
> up now</a>

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |