[Alberg30] Virus (NO ATTACHMENTS INCLUDED FROM ME)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Dec 3 07:58:49 PST 2002

Recent computer viruses choose a random or existing filename for the
attachment, so knowing a filename will not help.  Many viruses now
also include their own mailer so that they can send the mail with a
"from" address other than the actual person mailing it.  This makes
tracing the origin much harder.

One thing that Windows users can do to help spot virus attachments
is to turn off the "Hide file extensions for known file types."
The exact procedure varies from version to version, but is
generally the same.  In Windows 2000, open Explorer (not Internet
Explorer) and choose Tools | Folder Options | View and then uncheck
this option.  Many virus files have a double extension, such as
xyz.txt.exe, and the second extension is hidden if this option is
on, making the file look like a harmless type.

You should also check the Microsoft web site frequently for security
patches and keep your anti-virus software up to date.  It's a
constant job fighting these things.

 - George

> Maggie Ross said:
>
>  Brian and Elaine Timmins wrote:
>     > Please be cautious out there. <snip> I DID NOT SEND IT !!!!
>     > Brian
>     Do you happen to remember what the attachment with the virus was =
> called?
>     I have a non-boating friend who has received something from me =
> regarding a
>     discussing on furling. I did not send this and do try to be careful =
> and not
>     open any attachments I am not expecting.
>     Thanks for any feed back any of you may have as I hate messing up =
> anyone's
>     computer, including mine.
>     Maggie Ross
>     Strathgowan, #400

  Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
  May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
  you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                           from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |