[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 1 08:32:25 PST 2002

Do I understand  this is an Alberg 35?

I don't know what Pearson used as a deck coring (if it was plywood - run
away) - but if you were talking an Alberg 30 or 37 built in 1965 - the first
year of the 37's the deck core would be masonite and is virtually
indestructible - with all respects to my good friends on the list - I would
think twice about buying a boat with that much core problem unless the price
was extremely low for the up front purchase.

There are A-37's and A-30s of the masonite core deck variety (structurally
very good boats) which have been left more or less original and not up
graded, that can be had for a reasonable price and would offer a better up
grade potential.
I have seen sound A-37s go for as little as $26 -33K US - and I have seen
them go
for $55 - 65K US - one Canadian boat in excellent shape, very well equipped,
just went for + $90K (keep the
currency cracks down guy's ; ).

Having restored a MK 1 A-37, Sunstone, I can tell you that new rigging and
upgrading winches and sails etcetera can get fairly pricy - since there is
nothing in your comments to indicate contrary - I am guessing the deck is
not the only thing on the boat you are looking at that may need attention.
Get one diesel powered - ideally with the original Westerbeke 4-107 up
grade option - they are great engines The Perkins 4-108 is basically the
same engine. Or one recently repowered with a new diesel - this months
Practical Sailor has some good advice on diesel rankings.

You will likely need new standing rigging - go for it - don't scrimp (once
you
have lifted an A-37 mast you'll understand how important it is to not have
it come down the fast way). Personally I would use 316SS wire, and increase
the size by one diameter (316 is less strong than 304 by about 10%) - your
turnbuckles probably will need renewal so the cost is built in anyway. If
looking at furlers, we have been very happy with the Schaffer 2000, now 2100
and highly recommend it.

An A-37 will cost you on average about 70% more for parts than an A-30
except sails which are about 40% more.

These are suggestions, I believe the masonite decks of the Whitby Alberg
boats to be some of the best constructed decks of their generation and
vastly superior to balsa or plywood. If you search you will find one of
these boats - may I suggest the Alberg 37 International Owners Assoc web
site.

Whatever your choice, best of luck and fair winds

John