[Alberg30] moveable staysail

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Fri Jan 11 10:06:39 PST 2002

Here is some information on staysail sources.

1. there is an article on removable forestays in the July 1994 crusing world, pp. 44 - 45. It deals with both rigging and installation of a forstay. Don Street deals with rigging and Gary  Bras discusses installation.

2. Practical Sailo had an article on highfield levers published in January 15, 1999. There was also a discussion about adding a staysail in the PS Advisor section, but the date of the issue is not printed on the last page. If you send me your fax number, I would be glad to fax the article to you.

3. Daniel Spurr has a brief discussion of the topic in his book upgrading the cruising sailboat. The pages are202-203. There are some helpful drawings that deal with both intallation of the forestay and sail management.

I installed an inner forstay on my previious sailboat, a CAL 27 T-2. I transfered the load to the hull by means of a heavy duty duty pad eye which was through bolted and glassed to the hull. This may have been overkill, but it worked just fine.

In the Rigging Only 2001catalogue on page 34 there is very fine attachment device(item 2) for the forestay wire or block with a line. I used pop rivets to attach it. There are a total of 8 points for attachment. I see also that there is a double pad eye and a single pad eye for under the deck (items 9 an 10). The functional load for these is 12500 #s.

If a person is going to use a wire for the forestay as opposed to a piece of line, the storage plate (16) is really helpful. It is now made by cs johnson and costs about $42.00, if I remember correctly.

When I did mine, I worked with Tom Bixby (ph 508-992-0443). He is knowlegeable, helpful and tends to set folks us with bullet proof solutions.

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |