[Alberg30] Drifter advice

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Tue Jan 8 10:33:53 PST 2002

My thinking is 12 knots on the wind is pretty much ideal for an Alberg with
a #1 genoa (someone once calculated that to be a 163% jib on the Alberg
30)and full main.

Drifters are made of nylon; they won't hold an efficient shape hard on the
wind. Probably why the sailmaker was steering you to the spinniker is that
sail is more versatile in all other wind directions. I have a tri radial
spinniker that will carry up to about 70 degrees off the wind (20 degrees
forward of the beam)-although, at that point I am much more comfortable
running up the genoa. What I would like is someday to have a radial head
spinniker to catch more wind going directly downwind.

I guess the point I am making is it's all a matter of preference-to me,
when the issue of setting a drifter comes up, the issue of starting the
engine should come up too...

Michael
Checkmate #220
P.S. The way I read the class racing rules (here on the Chesapeake) is that
drifters are not allowed.