[Alberg30] Drifter advice

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Tue Jan 8 12:04:23 PST 2002

You are exactly right about the coin toss... drifter or motor.   Let me be
more clear... I want to keep sailing and as you say... 12 kts is ideal but 7
or 8 kts is not. There are those situations that arise in the summer months
when the wind is light for weeks and my genny is what I call tail heavy from
the uv protection on the leach and the sheets that are great for the stronger
winds  become to heavy  as well. Lake Michigan is big but it is a bathtub
after all and the surface action  seams to upset the sails more easily than  a
swell. Yes I can and should use a lighter sheet. That said... I was thinking
that  a drifter style roller furling head sail would be the cure. What do I
really want / need?

Kindest regards- Greg