[Alberg30] Re:Jib Halyard

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Jan 22 13:12:49 PST 2002

Bill,

Are you using wire/rope or all-rope halyards?  If you've gone to
all-rope, what size blocks are you using?  The size of the blocks
affects the proper diameter of the line.

I prefer 1/2 inch rope, or at least 7/16 inch, to make it easier
to hold.  Some people prefer 3/8 inch to reduce weight.

Looking at http://alberg30.org/boat/A30sailplan.jpg, the mast
is 36 feet and I'd guess about 10 feet to get back to the cockpit.
Since I'm paranoid about lines being slightly too short, I'd
probably go with 50 feet.  ("I don't understand it; I've cut this
line 3 times and it's STILL too short." ;-)

What block are you using at the base of the mast?

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |