[Alberg30] Bridge Deck Step

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Jul 30 03:51:27 PDT 2002

  Everyone has been coming up with all sorts of various uses for the small compartment at the aft top center of the bridge deck. When I bought my Alberg, I assumed it was for a compass. Since I had a bracket mounted compass on the port side cabin bulkhead, I ignored it. I used to try to store all sorts of small stuff there while sailing, but most stuff would fall out.
   Both my wife and I have short legs so it became a very useful step up onto the bridge deck. Eventually I figured that was the best use for it and installed a cut off piece of treadmaster non skid there and a 12 volt outlet on the side wall for my spotlight or other accessories. After installing a dodger, this was even more necessary as a step (since we're not that short).
    I don't know what Carl or Kurt (whoever made that decision) originally intended but I believe that the best use of this space is as a step. My boat still had the hinged cover which would fold back to the companionway threshold. In my opinion, this was for making it more comfortable as a seat when the cockpit is crowded.

   I just felt the need to defend it's use as a step!
Regards,
Brian         ex #497