[Alberg30] Hello

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Fri Jul 26 01:42:05 PDT 2002

Greg-

I agree with George on all 3 counts, and for whatever it's worth, one of
the biggest selling points of the Alberg 30 for me personally was that
it has a tiller instead of a wheel. I don't like wheels. There is too
much play. They are a lot of trouble to maintain (tiller is almost zero
maintenance). I don't think that a wheel would be easier to maneuver
than a tiller. With a tiller you ALWAYS know exactly where the rudder
is. With a wheel, you can mark it, or you can have an indicator, but
there is no stick that must point in the direction of your current
rudder angle. So I would think a tiller is easier to maneuver (though I
must confess that almost all of my sailing experience is in tiller
helmed boats). If a tiller breaks at sea, you should have a replacement.
If a steering quadrant or cable breaks, you have a much bigger problem.

I imagine that it's possible to convert an Alberg 30 to wheel steering.
However, it would probably be WAY more money and trouble than it is
worth. Tillers are the best anyway, in my humble opinion.

Good luck in your boat search!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20