[Alberg30] Rookie questions 2

T.C. Williams tcw at capu.net
Tue Jul 30 05:48:27 PDT 2002

I find it interesting we have yet to hear from any of the boats I see when
I'm out on the race course.  What's the matter guys?  Don't want to give
anything away? ;)

My two cents, and I don't think this is a secret.  New sails will help, but
only if you learn how to trim them.  I started racing Argo with "old" sails
that came with the boat when I bought it.  Our speed was OK but it was
usually tactics and crew work that made the difference in the outcome of the
race.  After a full season with the old sails, I bought a set of new sails
(main, #1 and spinnaker).  At first, we were slower until we learned how the
"new" sails wanted to be trimmed.  Just be aware of that if you get new
sails.  Eventually, we learned how to get our speed equal to the fleet but
it was still tactics and crew work making the difference.  Remember, some of
these guys have been racing Albergs for decades.

Probably the most important factor in boat speed on a boat like the Alberg
is a smooth and clean bottom.  There's lots of wetted surface creating lots
of drag, especially if it's dirty.

Also, remember you need to go fast before you can point.  First get up to
speed coming out of a tack before you tighten the sails for "pointing mode".

Lastly, don't forget about the "nut on the end of the tiller".  I know
that's Argo's biggest problem.  ;)

Sail Fast
TC
Argo #247