[Alberg30] "The Henry Randall Knot"

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at zeuter.com
Tue Jul 30 17:39:48 PDT 2002

You may be pleased to know that here in Parry Sound on Georgian Bay we have been
using the "Henry Randall knot".
It was taught to us by the late owner of A-30 Kaila, our friend Bill Beatty.  He
sailed Kaila in Lake Ontario, Georgian Bay and the Atlantic.  Somewhere, he
learned that knot and he shared it with us.
Does anyone remember Bill?
Marianne King-Wilson
Windward

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Bill,
>
> It's an easy knot.  With the fender hanging down, bend the line over the
> lifeline and back down.  Go around one side of the standing part, and then
> back up to the lifeline and down again.  Secure with a single half-hitch on
> the standing part.  I usually just pull a bight through for the half-hitch, so
> a sharp tug on the bitter end releases the knot.
>
>   - George
>
> Bill Blevins wrote:
>  the "Henry Randall knot". He must have
>  been quite a character and enjoyable company, to have been honored with a
> knot named after him!

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |