[Alberg30] mast painting

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 06:28:25 PDT 2002

Many years ago I decided to paint our mast. The paint of choice was Imron.
As with most painting projects, the preparation was the most time consuming
and laborious part. Our mast had not been painted before. The anodizing was
not a concern, since I was going to paint over it, in effect add a different
type of barrier coat. Ideally you would remove all of the hardware from the
mast prior to painting, I did not. Holes can be filled with metal filler
readily available at auto parts stores and sanded. The entire mast needed
extensive sanding. Then there were several sets of primer and etching
solutions before the finish coat was applied. The prep took a long time, the
painting did not. I applied the paint with a brush starting at the top. My
reasoning was, that by the time I got close to the deck, I would have the
painting process perfected and would eliminate most of the brush strokes. I
don't care about brush strokes up high, because you need to go up in a
bosun's chair to see them, and I ain't doin' that! The last piece painted
was the boom, I was getting better by then.

Lessons learned:

1.Allow plenty of time
2.Plan to do a lot of prep work
3.Use only the best two-part paint
4.Practice on areas you won't see

Conculsion:

After 15 years the job, although dinged up a bit, still looks good, and is
protecting the mast.