[Alberg30] Atomic 4 (bomb)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Jun 10 08:02:36 PDT 2002

It's true that marine surveyors will recommend changing from the
mechanical to electric fuel pump, but the advice is a bit out-of-date.
Rebuild kits are again available for the mechanical pump.  The
mechanical pumps have a good reliability record, though people do
tend to ignore them until the diaphragm wears through and dumps
gas in the crankcase.  Don't wait for this to happen.

The electric pumps, on the other hand, have been building a
reputation for premature failure.  I've heard of numerous instances
of early failure of the Facit pumps, even ones that were provided
to replace failed ones.  I think that Coast Guard regulations
REQUIRE that the electric pump have a kill switch.  Otherwise,
a problem such as a broken fuel hose will kill the engine, but
let the pump put the contents of your tank into the bilge.  You'll
probably also want a momentary contact bypass switch to fill
your carburetor bowl if you run the engine dry.

Switch to an electric fuel pump if you want; many people are happy
with them.  To me it's adding more complexity (read: things to go
wrong) and less reliability.  If you go electric, I'd recommend
keeping a spare on board (along with your spare plugs, distributor
cap, points, condensor, coil and plug wires).

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/