[Alberg30] Lightning protection

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Fri Mar 15 05:35:51 PST 2002

Re: [Alberg30] Lightning protectionI worry a fair bit about lightning - mostly because you can find supporting evidence for the effectivness of any coflicting theory about protection.   I don't know what works.

A business colleague of mine lost his father to a strike when in his boat. (Dufour 27 with factory installed grounding)  They think the strike hit him directly then went through the cockpit sole, set fire to the diesel then out via the shaft and through-hulls causing serious leaks.  Horrible.

Near my club five years ago two boats were rafted together: one wooden (obsessivly grounded) the other glass (no grounding) masts same height - the strike hit the wooden grounded boat and sent side flashes  THROUGH THE HULLS WHERE THEY TOUCHED.   The grounded boat had major damage - the worst being her wooden rudder which literally fell into splinters the next day,  while the glass ungrounded boat had gel coat damage.  People were in both boats - no injury.

In our boat, when at anchor, there is a direct conductor to ground via our all chain rode (metal roller) but even then we had an experience two years ago where a storm was coming, and as we approached our boat I noticed my wife's long hair standing on end reaching toward the boat.  Clearly a charge was building!  Nothing happened although a yacht was struck several miles away that day.

I have clung to the hope that the bow strip might help.... I have also clung to the hope that we might never get hit!
I dunno!

Gord
#426 Surprise