[Alberg30] Hull two part paint

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Sun Mar 31 04:32:44 PST 2002

A few years back I put Sterling linear polyurethane ( now sold at West
Marine) on a set of steel spiral stairs in a house we built. The painter
than put it on was a pro and he applied it with a brush with the proper
brushing reducer. They came out great. I also sprayed some on a sample
piece and it came out good as well. Than was 10 years ago, the owner of
the stairs has seven kids and the finish is holding up very well . The
paint flowed out into a very high gloss finish without any brush marks.
The Sterling Company says that people brush or roll their paint on boats
all the time with great results. You definitely don't want to spray it
without full body armor It has Isocianates in it which is like super
glue the stuff that you can glue fingers together with. It  also may
make you break out with a rash if you become sensitized to it.
Apparently some people are more sensitive than others.......  chris
Scott Wallace wrote:

>Hi Alberg Friends,
>
>What is your experience with rolling/tipping or brushing on a two part epoxy
>paint on the topsides (hull) of your boat?  Don Casey says in a book that
>rolling/tipping may look superior to spray.  He also cautions that spraying the
>2 part epoxy can kill unless you wear a air supply line and helmet.  What about
>hazards brushing and tipping?  Is spraying much better?  I am getting ready to
>paint the topsides of my 1968 Bluenose from a swimming pool greeen/blue (factory
>colour) to a deep Navy blue almost black.  I still need to paint the deck, cuddy
>cabin house and cockpit.  Any tips on what paint to use for this part of the
>boat?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott Wallace

 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |