[Alberg30] barrier bottom protection

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri May 10 05:37:42 PDT 2002

> Carl Clarkstone said:
>
> As an ex Cat 27 owner who had blisters I would say yes.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Alberg 30 has not had a history
of major blister problems.  While some Catalinas (I don't know if
it's certain production years, models, or what.) have had severe and
notorious blister problems, this has not been the case with A30s.

Yes, there is some blistering on some boats, but it tends to be
relatively minor in scope and never threatens the integrity of the
hull.  My own theory is that the gelcoat tends to be porous enough
to let the hydrolized resin byproducts pass back out of the hull
into the water.  I know that my own boat, when I used a hard bottom
paint (Pettit Trinidad) used to get small blisters in the paint,
not the hull, as if the osmotic flow was stopped by the paint
instead of the gelcoat.  For whatever reason, some of the worst
blistering problems I've heard about on Alberg 30's has been
right after they were barrier-coated.

As Hippocrates counseled, "first, do no harm."

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |