[Alberg30] barrier bottom protection

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Fri May 10 06:32:40 PDT 2002

I believe george and Mike are right on!

I found myself in a similar situation with hull number 412 a couple of
years ago. She had been on the hard for two years or more and I too
thought this would be a good time to do as you have suggested. I removed
all of the old bottom paint and installed numerous layers of West system
epoxy following their instructions. I bought five gallons of epoxy and
it yielded nine coats of rolled and tipped barrier coat. The results
really looked good. when the boat was pulled after being in the water
for a little more than two years (fresh water) I was quite disappointed
to find hundreds (if not more) of small blisters about the size of a
pencil eraser (some a bit larger) As I began to open these little
blisters I was surprised to find that they were all forming under my
beautiful barrier coat and did not find even one that had formed under
the original gelcoat.

I had done the barrier coating inside an unheated building in some
pretty cold weather and thought that I may have trapped a bit of
moisture in my barrier coating ... this was just my reasoning and I am
really not sure.

This seems to be a classic case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I am
now faced with the quandary as what to do at this point ... I am open to suggestions.

Tom S
A30 412

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> > Carl Clarkstone said:
> >
> > As an ex Cat 27 owner who had blisters I would say yes.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that the Alberg 30 has not had a history
> of major blister problems.  While some Catalinas (I don't know if
> it's certain production years, models, or what.) have had severe and
> notorious blister problems, this has not been the case with A30s.
>
> Yes, there is some blistering on some boats, but it tends to be
> relatively minor in scope and never threatens the integrity of the
> hull.  My own theory is that the gelcoat tends to be porous enough
> to let the hydrolized resin byproducts pass back out of the hull
> into the water.  I know that my own boat, when I used a hard bottom
> paint (Pettit Trinidad) used to get small blisters in the paint,
> not the hull, as if the osmotic flow was stopped by the paint
> instead of the gelcoat.  For whatever reason, some of the worst
> blistering problems I've heard about on Alberg 30's has been
> right after they were barrier-coated.
>
> As Hippocrates counseled, "first, do no harm."
>
>  - George
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/
 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |