[Alberg30] barrier bottom protection

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Fri May 10 06:03:10 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/10/02 8:39:54 AM, gdinwiddie at min.net writes:

>My own theory is that the gelcoat tends to be porous enough
>to let the hydrolized resin byproducts pass back out of the hull
>into the water.  I know that my own boat, when I used a hard bottom
>paint (Pettit Trinidad) used to get small blisters in the paint,
>not the hull, as if the osmotic flow was stopped by the paint
>instead of the gelcoat.  For whatever reason, some of the worst
>blistering problems I've heard about on Alberg 30's has been
>right after they were barrier-coated.

George, what you say has a lot of merit.  When I got my Chris Craft, her hull
was bare, and I contemplated laying on a barrier coat before painting with
antifouling.  The surveyor strongly urged me not to do so.  He pointed out
that the hull had weathered more than 30 years in its current state without
blistering.  He noted that the lay-up is porous, that water migrates into and
out of it.  By laying on a barrier coat, you interrupt that flow, with
unforeseeable consequences.  He said that no one could explain exactly why,
as the environment surrounding the untreated membranes hasn't been studied
enough for certainty.  But he theorized that water still enters the layup
from the interior of the boat, and the exterior barrier traps it there.  His
bottom line was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sanders McNew
Member Emeritus
 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |