[Alberg30] Holding tank

wmoran at look.ca wmoran at look.ca
Mon Nov 11 10:17:19 PST 2002

I had a flex tank for several years (and who knows how many more
before I bought the boat) until the fittings finally gave out at the
bag itself. I replaced it with a hard tank due to cost but the
advantage of the flex tank is that it will fit in oddly shaped areas
- which could be the definition of a sailboat when you think of it...
No problems with smell provided you use the proper hose and
connections. And when it is installed, just make sure that you attach
it strongly to a bulkhead with appropriately sized plastic ties
through the reinforced holes in the edging. You may have to epoxy a
cleat to the hull in some areas if there is no bulkhead near. Also,
put something between the tank and the hull for chafe protection
since there will be some movement.
Given a choice and considering the hassle I had cutting into my
v-berth to install the hard tank, I wouldn't hesitate to use a flex
tank next time. Unless you have a custom built hard tank desiged to
fit, I would give flex tanks serious consideration.
You can also get flexible water tanks - just don't mix up the hoses <grin>.

Wally Moran

--
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon