[Alberg30] re:trailer purchase

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Sep 9 22:35:08 PDT 2002

Subj:   Re: A 30 Trailers
Date:   9/10/02 1:29:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   <A HREF="mailto:RABBIT649">RABBIT649</A>
To: <A HREF="mailto:public-list at alberg30.org">public-list at alberg30.org</A> (Alberg 30 public list)

Dear trailer purchase team:
This sounds great but I have some observations. First, I agree with Dan that
we should go with the 7,000 pound axles. Triad says they do not like a three
axle arrangement because of the side forces in turning situations, so a dual
axle arrangement that meets specification (13, 200# exceeds the dual 6,000
axles) is ideal. If the 7,000 lb axles are substituted, how does that effect
the price differential between Glen Schwartz and Triad?
What is the quality of the prefabbed parts overall (axles, brakes, lights,
hardware, etc.) in the Glen Schawartz trailer? Do we know? Name brand parts
or offshore?
I think there should be both a bow and rear overhang support.If you are
standing or working in the cockpit out of the water, there is nothing
supporting that overhang and who knows what happens going over rough road.
Finally, the unknowable: how well can this two man fab crew pick up the
details of the next few pieces they make WITH THE SUPERVISING DESIGNER
SUDDENLY ABSENT and the original piece not there for comparison?
Finally what is their guarantee compared to Triad?
I may be wrong, but all this does not add up to making a $1400 difference
worth it.
I say, go with Triad.
But, I must tell you that a sudden deal-you-can't-refuse bargain property
purchase which will take all my free cash may force me to drop out of the
trailer purchase, so don't go by me. Do what you think best for the group and
I will go along if I can.
Paul Cicchetti
#23 Ashwagh