[Alberg30] "How-to" replace windows

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 06:02:50 PST 2003

"How-to" replace windows (Or at least how I did it)

Here's how I replaced the windows by myself for future reference for
the list archives. They look great, don't leak and wasn't too tough to
do alone, however a helper would have been better. If you want to do it
in multiple days though, it's pretty easy.

I ordered 9.5 mm (3/8")smoked plexiglass sheets cut to 12" x 24" from
plasticland.com ($14 each).It might be the same place as Chris
mentioned below, if not, they are neighbors. They shipped in 2 days.

1) Removed the old frames and glass
2) With a brass brush on my drill, I cleaned the inside of the frames
and left the outside "weathered" for a future project - probably when I
paint the deck.
3) I sanded out the old caulk from the openings on the hull
4) Taped poster board to the inside of the hull and marked each and
traced the window opening
5) Cut out the patterns and marked on the paper backing on each glass
and then cut them out with a 1/4 fine tooth band saw. (The glass came
with thick paper on both sides and it cut perfectly).
6) Leaving the paper on the glass, I taped them in place from the
inside of the cabin. They were almost an exact fit and I used my
grinder tip on a Dremmel tool in a few places to allow for a tiny bit
of space. I adjusted them so that there was a tiny bit of space on all
sides and then put 4 small pieces of duct tape on the outside to hold
in place.
7) I mixed one syringe of epoxy and "tacked" 4 spots on each widow and
let that dry overnight. I did this just to be sure they didn't move
since I new that I was going to be doing this alone and also to make
sure that the caulk went all the way around the glass between it and
the hull.
8) When I removed the duct tape, the paper backing peeled off. I think
I would leave the duct tape on the inside next time to try to keep the
paper backing on until the very end. The epoxy didn't go through the
paper because it seems there was a plastic backing on the paper. So,
anyway, I had to use painter's tape and masked off most of the windows,
leaving the edge exposed on the outside and covering the edges on the
inside.
9) I used 5200 and filled the seams from the outside and then cleaned
that up and let harden for a day.
10) I caulked with a clear marine grade flexible caulk (yellow and
black tube - not sure of the brand) that Fawcett's recommended on the
inside of the outside frames, including the bolt heads and holes and
pushed each screw inside, let it set for a couple of hours then
installed the inside frames and cap nuts. I found a person at the dock
to hold the screwdriver on the outside while I tightened up the cap
nuts on the inside.
11) Finally, I trimmed the tape and removed from the new glass and
wiped a few small spots of the clear caulk with mineral spirits.

The hardest part of replacing the windows was finding a store that sold
48 identical machine screws - I couldn't! I ended up cleaning the old
screws in 2 cans of Coke for 2 days, then brushing with a stiff
toothbrush. (only the tips need to be cleaned as you are going to push
them through caulk anyway).

The "smoked" glass looks pretty dark from the outside (actually really
dark), but almost clear from the inside, much clearer than my old
crazed clear glass the I replaced. I hope it helps with the interior
heat in the summer a bit and I think it looks great with my black hull.

That's it, hope it helps someone.

Bill Blevins
SABRINA #158

--

Bill,

This is where I picked up my windows; You can trace the old ones, mail
it to
them and they will replicate them. They have tinted stuff too. They are
bit pricey but they deliver !

I thought about tinted material as well, but I chose not to use it
because I
felt it would conflict with the classic design of the boat.

Canal Plastics
345 Canal Street
New York
212 431 5901 tel