[Alberg30] "How-to" replace windows

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 07:54:44 PST 2003

Michael,

My window frames were through bolted with machine screws and on the
inside, cap nuts. The machine screws came out pretty easily.

Prying the frames from the old (4 layers of something hard - green,
brown, white and blue) caulk was a little bit unnerving because I
thought I was going to pull the gelcoat and top fiberglass layer off
the deck at one point, but I used metal paint scraper to help. I had to
sand both sides of the cabin to rid it of the old bonding/caulking
material. I had to fill with epoxy one 3" crack that went vertically in
the center of one of the windows, below the glass. It looks like the
last time the frames came out, that had pulled away and was not
repaired. I don't think I did it as it looked old.

I bought a brass wire brush for my drill and just used that to eat the
layers of hardened stuff off of the inside of the frames. I tried
various solvents, but after 2 hours cleaning just one, I gave that up
and went to the drill.

There were really thin washers on each side of the frame - sometimes
two or three - that I had to use a sharp wood chisel to wedge
underneath of them to get them to pop free.

The machine screws are sized 10-24. The frames I had didn't have any
threads inside that I could tell. The screws just went through the
holes and didn't seem to be too tight. The screws had been cut off on
the inside too. 3/4" was too short and 1" was too long. Another reason
why I used the same ones. Only the tips need to be cleaned since you
are going to bed them in caulk again anyway.

Bill Blevins
SABRINA #158

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:43 AM, schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com