[Alberg30] Fuel tank location

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Apr 17 14:42:44 PDT 2003

Bill,

After cutting the panel from the starboard cockpit locker, the access is
pretty good.  I lie down in the locker to work on in.  I've tightened
mine a lot of times since I wrote that article.  This winter, I found
out why.  When I went to repack it I found that it had been packed with
a spiral of flax rather than rings.  That allowed the water to seep
around the spiral and leak again soon after adjustment.

There's no problem tightening it in the water.  If you're going to
repack it, you might want to have a couple people stand on the bow to
raise it out of the water.  I repacked it on land.

  - George

Bill Ydel wrote:
> Speaking of fuel tank locations and stuffing boxes. I have a small leak that
> runs down in to the bilge from the stern. The underside of the cockpit floor
> is dry, the lazaret is dry, I must conclude that I have a leak in the
> stuffing box for the rudder post.
> I read the article in the maintenance manual about cutting an access  door
> in to the wall of the  cockpit locker, but what am I getting myself in to.
> Has anyone had to do any work on the rudder post stuffing box.
> I can not imagine trying to do anything one handed and without being able to
> see it. By the way, SallyB is in the water.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy