[Alberg30] twings

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Apr 24 08:34:24 PDT 2003

Larry-

Thanks. I was thinking of running them through an old jibsheet fairlead
that is attached to my track, instead of mounting a new fitting on my
toerail. This would be significantly farther aft than your setup (like
3' aft of the lower instead of 12"). I'm still thinking about it. Do you
find that your setup works well for you, or would you do it differently
if you were to do it over again?

I also was planning on mounting a bullseye on the sidedeck so that I
could run the twing aft to a deck mounted camcleat outboard of the
forward part of the cockpit coaming. I would allow the tail to run clear
back to the aft end of the cockpit (through another bullseye aft, and
with a stopper) so that the helmsman would be able to pull the twing on
during a gybe in case the crew doesn't know or remember. Do you think
this is unnecessarily complicated, or a good plan?

I want a deck layout that will work well, make the boat easy to handle,
not be overly complicated, and also not too cluttered. So I'm wary of
running too much aft, and of drilling holes in my deck. However, I view
twings as a good safety valve for flying the kite in a fresh breeze, and
I'd like to be able to control them from the back. Does this sound good?
or overkill?

Yes, I know, I want everything. Thanks for all your great advice!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287