[Alberg30] Cutlass bearing removal

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 19:53:12 PDT 2003

Great - Glad to here things worked out. I don't know of any particular
cutlass bearing brand, I think the last one I bought was from West Marine.
They are usually too long and need to be cut to the length of the housing.
Square holes are OK, that's how they were originally and there is still
plenty of bearing surface to support the shaft. I think I used a 1/4" bit.
What dictated the size of the bit was.I used the largest one that would fit
through the vent hole without damaging the housing. It is important to get
as much water as possible into the bearing since it is a water-lubricated
bearing. Throughout the year, when I dive to clean the prop, I always check
to make sure no barnacles have closed the vents.