[Alberg30] Wood for Spreaders

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Sun Apr 27 05:38:04 PDT 2003

Red oak is a no no is boats or exterior work in general, although it
does make good pallets and fire wood. For spreaders as long as they are
kept up sitka spruce ,african or central american mahogany, spanish
cedar, fir, cherry would all work fine even teak although I would pick
something on the light wt. side like sitka spruce, fir or central
american mahogany. It is really not that big a deal which one you pick.,
teak and white oak are overkill strength and wt.
wise but if you leave your rig up all year and don't maintain them they
would be very forgiving.
Red oak, poplar, maple ,birch,ash, all rot very quickly and must be
protected with epoxy to keep moisture out of them. If you really want to
save $ buy a pc of pressure treated yellow pine framing lumber and shape
it to fit.