[Alberg30] Wheel Advantages

vinegar joe snarkbuster at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 06:24:41 PDT 2003

i think i've offered an opinion on this before, but maybe not.   i've got an alberg 29 that has a wheel.  previously had a cape dory typhoon and an albin vega with tillers.  with the sails balanced, i am frequently able to lock the wheel and sail hands free.  also, if you have novice crew onboard and need someone to briefly steer, the wheel is more familiar and logical to the nonsailor.  but sheet to tiller steering is a lot more difficult with a wheel, there're more parts/things to go wrong with a wheel, and it takes up space when you're not sailing.   if i ever had unlimited time to work on my boat, i would be sorely tempted to convert to a tiller.  but the wheel isn't a major aggravation for me, i otherwise love my alberg, and from a resale standpoint, there are some folks out there that think a wheel is a bonus.  bottom line....sail when the wind starts to blow!vinegar joe

J Bergquist <j at ship.saic.com> wrote:In my humble opinion, no.

I have a tiller autohelm. It works.

Singlehanding with a tiller is fine.

Really long distance autohelming is better with a windvane anyway.

You asked for an objective opinion. You should take mine as subjective.

Somebody out there surely loves a wheel. It's just not me.

J Bergquist

Tom DeWitt wrote:

>I day sailed for two seasons on a 30 with a tiller. Objectively, does a
>wheel have advantages for single handing, auto-helm, etc.
>
>Tom DeWitt
>dewitt-t at cmltek.com
>Voice Mail 240-599-1289

| This Old Boat by Don Casey |