[Alberg30] Thru-hulls

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Sun Dec 28 07:32:05 PST 2003

Alan,

A few thoughts that may help when deinstalling of the thru hulls. Those
located behind the motor are the most difficult to reach, I purchased a
socket that fits the nuts and remove the units in that manner. A pipe wench
works well but the fiber glass can do a number on your fingers when it
slips. I also applied a "little" heat and the thru hulls literally fall out
the boat, no hammering required.  Personally, I like Buck Algonquin ball
valves over Apollo or purchase a true sea cock (base and screw into the
hull) either from a Buck distributor or Spartan Marine in Maine (they carry
spare parts for Cape Dory). The other source is Jamestown Distributors in
Bristol, RI they will send you a catalog and ship mail order.

Regards,
Stephen