[Alberg30] galley and nav station reconstruction

Crufone at aol.com Crufone at aol.com
Fri Jan 10 20:26:19 PST 2003

Hello all,
I know that this sounds weird, but it makes sense.  Someone told me that on
an ice box if you put an s curve or a trap in the drain line that goes to the
bilge from the ice box that the ice will last twice as long.  This drain line
is usually run straight to the bilge and it holds no water so it forms a
"thermal pump" to draw in warm air from the cockpit hatch/door thru the ice
box to the cooler bilge.  This "thermal pump" acts to significantly warm up
the interior of the ice box.  I honestly do not remember the fellow who told
me this trick, but he made the change on his boat and he remarked that the
block of ice lasted twice as long after he made up the trap.

Now, we all can install this simple line trap for almost nothing.......so it
is worth a try.

Michael Connolly    #133

P.S. I think that it was some guy I was talking to at Strictly Sail in
Chicago last year who mentioned this ice box "fix".

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html