[Alberg30] Hull etching

Larry Morris larmor at myexcel.com
Thu Jan 30 13:44:22 PST 2003

Hi Bill & Mike,

The most accurate way to set your waterline is to do the following.

Before hauling boat:( if boat is already out of the water you may be able to
determine these waterlevel points by the scumline left on the boat.)

1.	While the boat is in the water and has all equipment, water and fuel
aboard in their standard locations( full fuel tank and 1/4 tank of water).
Mark the waterlevel at the stem and on the center seam on the transom
bustle.

2.	Measure and record the distance between the stem fitting along the Stem
to the water level mark and from the center bottom of the transom along
center seam to the waterlevel mark.

After boat is painted.

1. Measure and mark the hull with the above dimesions.  This is baseline for
your waterline.  (It is common practice to raise the painted waterline 2-3
inches above the actual water level to keep the line clean from growth)
determine the distance you want to raise the waterline and mark the stem and
stern accordingly.

2. Using a laser level and a photograghers tripod placed approx. 15ft. from
the midpoint of the boat, set the height of the level at the approximate
height of the waterline, align the lazer with the marks on the stem and
stern. This lazer line will indicate the location for the waterline. Mark
with a pencil every 3-4 inches and then mask and paint.
PLEASE NOTE: Lazer levels can be purchased cheaply at HOME DEPOT or Harbor
Freight. Around $20 - $30.

If you live in the Balt., Annapolis area I would be glad to help with the
project.  Have Level will travel! at least close by.  My number is in the
Handbook.

Fair Winds

Larry Morris
Solstice #501