[Alberg30] RE: Mast Step

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Thu Jun 12 13:07:00 PDT 2003

Randy:
When I bought my boat, the aluminum mast step was broken at two of the
bolt holes and the metal was so "rotten" that my machine shop could not
weld it.  I made a stainless mast step out of two pieces of 1/8 inch
stainless plate and the raised aluminum shoe from the original mast
step.  The bottom stainless plate was cut diagonally at each corner with
the sides bent upward at about 45 degrees.  All four raised edges of the
bottom plate were punched with half inch holes to permit the attachment
of blocks, fastening of halyards and topping lift and addition of a
vang.  The flat bottom portion of this bottom plate and the second plat
were the same size as the original mast step and were drilled for the
bolts that go into the plate set in the deck.  The two stainless plates
were welded together and the aluminum shoe which was cut from the
original mast step was bedded in 5200 and then bolted to the stainless
plates in the original position.  I have not had any problem with
corrosion, but it has only been about three years.  Before I bolted the
mast step to the boat, I gave the aluminum plate set in the deck and the
aluminum shoe a liberal coating of Never-seize.  So far it has worked
well.  If I had to do it again, I would bend the front of the bottom
piece that faces the bow at a steeper angle because on my boat it
prevents the forward hatch from being raised to the vertical.  The next
time I drop the mast I will do so.  You could probably incorporate a
hinge between the two plates, but the Alberg's mast is pretty heavy and
unwieldy to lower that way.  I think a gin pole will probably be
necessary to raise the angle of the lowering line as the mast approaches
horizontal. It would also have to be very well guyed to prevent it
canting to the side.  I used to lower the wooden mast on my Rhodes
Meridian that way and it was sometimes way too exciting. Good luck.

Ross Horton, #40