[Alberg30] Request for Purchasing Advice

greeksailor at att.net greeksailor at att.net
Sun Mar 2 06:32:52 PST 2003

The way I bought my A30 #383 was much like your aproach. I knew I wanted an A30
I just had to find one in my price range of which I found; It took me 12 months
to find the boat.

Because the financial part of the decision is one of great importance, I will
share with you my experience.

If I were to do it all over again, I would buy a higher priced A30
because....chances are the person who is selling the boat has put alot more
money in the boat than the selling price.

If you find a boat that needs alot of upgrading it will cost you much much more
if you do the work yourself. Where; if all (or most)of the upgrading and
maintenace has already been done by the seller whom has had a serious
relationship with his parting A30, the savings would be astronimical.

Example:
I bought #383 and have put into it $25K in upgrades and maintenace (above the
purchse price).
My friend (Brian Timmins) sold #497 for $6K more than I bought #383.
The person who bought #497 (Alfredo Matos) actualy paid $6K for his upgrades
while I paid $25K. I hope I made sense.

Chris Katehis

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |