[Alberg30] Universal diesels

quest433 quest433 at msn.com
Wed Sep 3 18:38:03 PDT 2003

I agree with Mike, 11 hp is underpowered, but one of the things I found out when I owned Quest was that the right propeller makes a huge difference.  Rich Hazlegroove can further substantiate this.  Quest had a 10 hp, single banger BMW, when I sold the boat to Rich I put a new 3 blade MP Michigan Wheel on it since he wasn't going to race--I had be using a 13"X13" Michigan Sailer.  The BMW had a 2.7:1 transmission reduction ratio meaning a substantially higher torque capacity into the water compared to lower gear ratios.  If I remember right the day Rich and myself sailed Quest from Annapolis to Mobjack Bay the wind at the start was out of the South over 20 knots (deep reef and no 2), anyway that was the last time I sailed on her and she chugged right along at hull speed into a pretty good head wind.  My concern with the small engine was that it had to work too hard.  For local sailing I had complete confidence but I didn't think the engine would hold together on a trip down the ditch.

Jim Mennucci