[Public-list] Saturated Hull, Bilge Damage

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 08:49:47 PDT 2004

The hull is registering in the "Very Wet" range (23+) 25-30% anywhere and
everywhere below the waterline. (I fully expected that on the rudder.)

Just above the waterline, but below the boot stripe is 13-15% (Moist) and
above the boot stripe is 5-8% (Dry). I'll measure again Friday weekend and
report back next week. I'm actually glad that I did this, even though I may
be drying out for a while.

I visited the boat yesterday but didn't have the meter and the "color" of
the fiberglass has greatly improved - for whatever that is worth. Before, it
had dark splotches and oozing brown liquid from spots all over the place. I
ground out all of the spots that squirted at me when I was sanding.

I've been scrubbing the hull with TSP and power-washing it every visit.
Reportedly, that is supposed to help keep the pours open as the moisture
inside escapes and dries solid again. It seems to be improving the
appearance, if nothing else!

Bill Blevins
'Sabrina' A30 #158