[Public-list] Caulking lazerette/packing gland nut

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 11:40:46 PDT 2004

Roger; I have never heard of "self-leveling" silicone. There are
self-leveling polyurethanes and epoxies for floors and sidewalks. If the  silicone is a
one-part, right out of the tube or can, it cures from the exposed  surfaces in.
As you have discovered, it will skin over, dry to the  touch, quite quickly
but 2 inches would take a long time to cure  completely. A two component
silicone (or polyurethane or epoxy) comes in 2  containers and must be mixed. One of
the 2 components is a catalyst and it cures  almost too quick.

Many of the one-part sealants cure in the presence of moisture. If the
caulking is performed on a dry day, it will take longer to cure. Do the  directions
suggest spraying with water?

I am in the process of drilling new larger drainage holes in my lazerettes.
I am also cutting out a larger access port in the port lazerette, while the
boat  is in the water. Three people, taking turns, drilling a series of
connecting  holes with a battery-powered spade bit drill.

Looking at my prop shaft packing gland thru the cockpit sole hole or the
small port in the lazerette, I can not get close enough to see a separate
locking nut on the packing gland. Every one I've seenand all of the Alberg links
show a separate locking nut. Do you have one?

Ed. Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue