[Public-list] Chainplate covers?

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 12 16:48:08 PST 2004

Randy
    When I bought #528, I was taken to see a C & C deck which had a raised
flat area around the chainplates with the SS plates of which you speak. I
knew I needed to redo the deck on this boat so incorporated a raised flat
area at the chainplates on my new deck. I then went to the scrap yard and
found some 1/8th stainless plate that was food grade so probably 316 (which
is probaly not what is best for a marine environement, 304 is stronger and
more durable,  I gather, but strength is not that important here), cut it to
size- about 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" and then took it to a machine shop to have the
slot cut.  I needed to file the edges a bit to get the chainplate angle
correct in the slot but SS is relatively soft, so not difficult once in a
vise. I have drilled 2 holes in the plates and drilled and tapped the epoxy,
raised flat areas to match so I just tighten the 2 - 1/4 x 1/2 ss machine
bolts to seal the caulking. Total cost about $25 Canadian when I did it 8
years ago -$20 of that  for the machinist. I need to redo that caulking job
this winter. The raised part of the deck decreased the torque and twist on
the chainpates at the deck level too. If you want to know how I did the
pattern for the raised flat area let me know.
Don