[Public-list] Interior paint

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Dec 15 07:23:19 PST 2004

My architectural firm looked into these guys, http://www.mascoat.com/; who
make ceramic insulating paint for coating the ceiling of a warehouse we
converted into high density office space.  It is water based and can go
directly over plywood and fiberglass, even if painted with latex, as long as
well sanded with 80 grit or lower.

Need an airless sprayer or a "small applications device" that they sell for
$125.  Two coats recommended at 20 mils each.  Five gallon pails cover 120
SF  at 40 mill thickness and cost about $250.  They claim same insulating
characteristics as 2 to 3" of bat insulation plus 50% increase in sound
absorption (although they had no valid data on the absorption part).  They
recommend a high quality acrylic overcoat on exposed areas (cabin overhead)
because the finish surface will show dirt.  To smooth out any surface
irregularities, it can be sanded before applying overcoat.

Stuff is expensive but seems ideal to solve condensation problems.  In
problem areas (below waterline?) additional coats insure better insulation.
I also like the the sound absorption part because all the hard surfaces
below can result in that "inside of the file cabinet" acoustic environment.

I might try ceramic on glass surfaces (hull and overhead) and oil based on
plywood and bulkheads.  Check out their site; it is pretty through.

Roger Kingsland